Sign up for my writing on front-end engineering leadership.
Instead, I focus on big challenges for front-end engineering leaders: development practices, growing teams, and long-term technical strategy.
You'll get short daily lessons and insights, and my monthly link newsletter, Tinned Fruit Missives.
Join my daily mailing list
Sign up now and get my Front-End Engineering Responsibilities Laundry List PDF for free.
You'll get regular emails about front-end development. Unsubscribe at any time.
Tinned Fruit Missives archive
Daily email archive
- Front end devs are now big borrowers
- The build, borrow or buy fractal
- What should a full-stack developer focus on?
- Frustration-driven development
- A maturity model for front end development?
- Are little rewrites better than refactoring?
- Why discovery testing helps component-based UI development
- Are you Detroit- or London-school?
- Pyramids, ice cream cones, crumbs, pancakes and trophies
- TDD: ugh, right?
- Drifting into a test-averse culture
- Do you need a second brain?
- T-shaped knowledge is hokum
- Slicing and dicing the curate's egg
- Front-end channel on Rands Slack
- My own brush with the 'Spotify Model'
- Peter is out of the squad on principle
- Lean delegation
- Robotic front-end web jockeys
- You wouldn't let a marketing contractor fly an airliner
- Awkward stacks
- Managing long-term, part-time migrations
- A chance to be vulnerable
- A question for front-end engineering leaders
- Peering in through the window
- Hot takes! Any hot takes?
- A misty-eyed journey into the boring old days
- PWA super starters
- Marvin Minsky's opinions about CSS-in-JS
- Get some Webhint in your toolchain
- What's the web really good at?
- MVPs are not (always) Mini Versions of the Product
- The prototype gamut
- Walking skeletons and tracer bullets
- The runaway proof of concept
- Prototypes, proofs of concept, walking skeletons and MVPs, oh my!
- Chesterton's fence is not yours to remove
- Failing safely
- Sometimes, you *are* Google (maybe)
- Other words for 'rewrite'
- When refactoring isn't
- How GitHub switched from jQuery to, well, nothing
- Tog's Law of Commuting and you
- Tesler's Law
- Fundamentals schmundamentals
- 20,000 enemies
- Mindful code reviews
- E pluribus unum
- Video: How to Survive the Single Page App-ocalypse
- Embrace the experiment
- Product and agency work isn't so different
- Who has your back?
- Start with yourself
- Dealing with negative product feedback
- Small and big discomforts
- Rational technology choice doesn't exist
- Did we back the wrong horse?
- Movements and complications
- Reluctant scrum mastery
- A product manager stepped on my toe
- Over to you. Got a question about front end leadership?
- Are static sites the new static site?
- Wilful educated ignorance
- Hey, where's all the front-end stuff?
- How to create a lead time ladder
- Spot waste with value stream mapping
- Trimming your 無駄
- 1000 ways of testing
- Constructive snark?
- Clean me
- What 'make the business case' really means
- Software NIMBYs
- Developer happiness considered harmful (sometimes)
- How to win every argument
- Software archaeology and anthropology
- Hidden foundations
- Hollow artifacts
- UI foundations on a shoestring
- Platform and Foundation
- Ceci n'est pas un job
- Full stack developer? Software engineer? Rockstar Ninja Hacker?
- Full Yack Shaver
- Full-stack jacket
- How many full-stack developers does it take to change a light bulb?
- You really do have to get out of the building
- The trust multiplier
- Your role as an amigo
- The accidental lead
- Starting with why...
- Positioning for front-end developers
- Everybody wants to be (internet) famous